Huntington Park Union High School District was organized in 1909. The cornerstone for the first high school building was laid on December 2, 1909, and the first commencement exercise was held there on June 17, 1910, with Miss Olive Petties being the single graduating student. In January 1932, Huntington Park Union High School District, as a political entity, passed out of existence. The Huntington Park Union High School now became a unit of the Los Angeles City school system, and its official name became Huntington Park High School.
The school itself went through two crises. The first building burned down on 11 October 1911. The second building was wrecked by the violent earthquake of March 10, 1933.